The Santa Maria del Popolo Parish - To Open Hearts to God
is to create a Catholic community that embraces our diverse backgrounds and cultures as a way to increase our ability to bring the Good News of Jesus Christ to all who wish to open their hearts to God.
Our Guiding Principles
- We Spread Joy and Peace
- We Honor Mary
- We Value Education
- We Serve
- We Open Our Doors to Everyone
Santa Maria del Popolo History
Rev Thomas Burke celebrated the very first Mass in this church on May 19, 1935. Santa Maria del Popolo (St. Mary of the People), named by Cardinal Mundelein after his titular church in Rome, was dedicated on September 22, 1935.
On September 5, 1950, a four-room school, built onto the church, was opened with an enrollment of 187 children. Four Sisters of St. Dominic were their teachers. In the Summer of 1952, Monsignor Peter Meegan was appointed pastor and during his time many parish ministries and activities were established. In September 1953, the convent was completed and occupied by the five Sisters teaching at Santa Maria School.
The school enrollment in 1959 - 1960 exceeded the 1000 mark and in 1962 a new church-school with ten classrooms was built where our church stands today. The new buildings were dedicated by Cardinal Meyer on May 3, 1964. In the late '60s, the first Spanish Mass was celebrated to accommodate the large growing numbers of Spanish-speaking migrant workers in the area.
In 1971, Rev John Lane was named pastor and after him Rev James Kinn was appointed Pastor. He oversaw the dedication of a new rectory in 1984. Most recently, a new Parish Center-gymnasium was constructed and it was dedicated on March 12, 2006 when Fr. Robert Aguirre was pastor. In November 2006, Fr. David Arcila, OCD became Parish Administrator. He became our Pastor in 2011.
Parish Location and Contact Information
Santa Maria del Popolo Church is located at 116 North Lake Street in Mundelein, IL 60060.
Parish Office Phone: (847) 949-8300
Parish Office Fax: (847) 949-2339
Parish Religious Education Phone: (847) 990-6865
Santa Maria del Popolo Parish Leadership
- Rev. David Arcila - Pastor email
- Rev. Gerald O'Reilly - Associate Pastor email
- Rev. Daniel Siwek, Assistant on weekends
- Rev. Kevin Murphy, Assistant on weekends
- Rev. Jim Kinn, Pastor Emeritus
- Mr. Dave Auld - Deacon email
- Mr. Felipe Vazquez - Deacon
- Mr. Efrain Flores - Deacon
- Mrs. Donna Rothmann - Business Manager email
- Mrs. Anne Walker - Liturgical Director email
- Mrs. Debbie Titus - Director of Music
- Mrs. Aida Munoz - Director of Religious Education email
- Mr. Thomas Polanski - Coordinator of Youth Ministry email
Parish Pastoral Council
The Parish Council serves as a consultative, collaborative and collegial body to the Pastor, and is regulated by the norms issued by the Archdiocese of Chicago.
We are an advisory board to the Principal and Pastor in the operation of the school. We use our talents, gifts, and insights for the common good of the community to promote the mission and goals of Catholic education.
The Family Association, Athletic Associations, and Fathers' Club.
This committee is appointed by the pastor to help oversee the financial concerns of the parish. Among our responsibilities, we prepare and present the annual budget, meet monthly to review parish income and expenditures, assist the pastoral council and subcommittees in preparing budgets, and provide parishioners with periodic reports of the financial position of the parish.